Hand held PCB drill

I was looking for a way to drill holes in home-made PCB boards.  It seemed that my only option wa investing in a rotary tool (i.e. Dremel) with a drill press.  However there seemed to be many forum discussions where a slight swing of the drill bit during lowering the drill press was causing a misalignment of drilled PCB holes.  Then I came across small 12V motors that had a drill bit attachment. Some have made their own drill presses for this.  Search Ebay or Amazon for "pcb drill press" and you'll be able to pick one up for a few pounds/dollars.  I soldered a small button onto the side of mine and, lo and behold!  A working, hand held PCB drill!  It's easy to find sets with the motor, drill attachment and several drill bits.  I found one with a set of 2 x 0.8, 0.9, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5 mm bits.


So how does it fair?  I've hooked it up to a 9V battery and hey presto...:
Those are mostly 1.0 mm holes I've drilled there and by my eye they look pretty spot-on, certainly sub-mm accuracy.

TIP:  I found it useful to position the drill tip, pulse the on button lightly to drill a shallow hole in the surface and then press fully on and drill all the way through.  Useful to have a piece of wood underneath!

Always wear safety specs kids.  Flying broken drill bits are not good for the eye.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting started with the Pro Micro Arduino Board

Arduino and Raspberry Pi serial communciation